Thinking Dangerous Thoughts...

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
MizRaff

Thinking Dangerous Thoughts...

August 1st, 2015, 5:48 pm

Hello people!

I realise our newest idea may shock some of you, so may I proffer apologies in advance and place a clear warning that unacceptable language may lie ahead.
As our great big American truck camper has garnered precisely zero bids so far in its "being sold' career, we are mulling over the concept of buying a suitable rolling platform, bolting said camper securely to it, and attaching the result to the rear of our vehicle by means of a metal thing.
Yes, it's the "C" word. :mrgreen:
The plus points of this radical move are that we'll be able to legally use the thing, go on holiday in it etc., and the space between the bit that originally fitted into the truck bed, and the outer edge of the rolling platform, will make fantastic storage lockers.

Has anybody else ever done this before? Has anybody heard of anybody else doing this before?

Obviously we haven't suddenly sprouted horns or gained an irresistible urge to carry a lawnmower from site to site with us!

We're not going to get drummed out and forced to return our club sticker, are we? :oops:

zildjian
Site Admin

Re: Thinking Dangerous Thoughts...

August 1st, 2015, 6:12 pm

certainly been done let me see if I can find the image,

On the chassis front I was talking to a caravan breaker just last weekend discussing what happens to all the bits they pull off, and he showed me a couple of twin axle chassis' that would do what you want certainly

he said I think about £200 ish each

zildjian
Site Admin

August 1st, 2015, 6:19 pm

While its certainly possible you have to weigh up the cost of repair in first place (although I expect you already have)

anyway if your mounting points are in good condition unlike the leg brackets the there's no reason I can think why you shouldn't plonk it on a trailer to move it. Wilco (French dealer) collects them in this manner frequently and hauls them back to his yard for sale

zildjian
Site Admin

August 1st, 2015, 6:48 pm

On the sticker front we'll have to convene an emergency summit, as once again you've thrown a curved ball,
on the mower issue I think you'd have to fill up all that empty space with something useful

keeflester

August 1st, 2015, 7:29 pm

Strictly speaking, you would still have a demountable, not at all a desert-convoy-system-based-on-the-carrying-capacity-of-camels. So there would be no sanctions. As long as you continue to refrain from reading the daily mail in public, wearing a certain type of cardigan with sensible elbow patches and taking a mower to garden your assigned pitch.
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

zildjian
Site Admin

August 1st, 2015, 7:41 pm

If you ask me this all about the mower anyway

MizRaff

August 1st, 2015, 8:49 pm

Actually, if we were to buy a big enough ride-on mower, we could fit a tow bar and use it to pull the not-at-all-a-c-word...

keeflester

August 1st, 2015, 8:51 pm

That would count as quirky, off the wall anarchy. Gets my vote.
2003 Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 109 Supercab, sold to Simon
Tandy Pony, sold
Northstar 750, sold
K33F-built Penthouse Pee Pod, sold to Simon with the Ranger
Built the lozenge for my wee sister, its now finished and in regular use
Now converting a blue Tranny.

MizRaff

August 1st, 2015, 9:51 pm

Thanks for the pics, Zildjian - it all looks reassuringly simple to do! I particularly like the last one, which has more boxing-in done than the others. I think I see the way forward now.
Yes, Keeflester, even with a nominal desert-convoy-system-based-on-the-carrying-capacity-of-camels, a touch of quirky off-the-wallness is much more us. Just wait till I've done my airbrushing course at the end of August, I can feel a really badass paint job coming on... :ugeek: :mrgreen: