Pick up advice

Anything and everything thing here
join a thread/start a thread
Add6598

Pick up advice

May 26th, 2015, 7:44 pm

Hi All, hope everyone had a grand weekend !

I'm still lurking and trying to learn as much as possible, very much looking forward to the social in June, just trying to sort some time off work so I can pop over :D

Something else I figure I need to start thinking about is which pickup. I'm guessing members on here will have just about every combination so I thought I'd throw the question out and at least narrow down the initial search.

Ideally I'd be looking for a double cab, and I'd prefer a higher spec ( I've never had a vehicle with any real creature comforts and I think I'd fancy some this time around )
I've not had chance to do much homework so I've got no particular preference on manufacturer.
It's really hard to set a budget but I imagine I'd be looking at no more than 8k... But that's probably being optimistic to keep my options open, so less would be better if possible.

Any vehicles in particular that work well with demountables? Or don't work well?
Any personal recommendations of vehicles people have been particularly impressed with?... Or again, unimpressed with?
Any other general pros/ cons or general observations gratefully received!
Bests
Add

TrueDink

Re: Pick up advice

May 26th, 2015, 8:00 pm

You've prodded the hornets nest now. Everyone's got a different opinion.

I looked and test drove all the pickups on sale in the UK and decided to go for the Nissan Navara on the spec (very high) and the power. I was communicating with the Bimobil factory as I was going to go for one at the time and they only recommended the Navara. I later came to the realisation after a catastrophe in France that the Navara's chassis are weak. This can be remedied with a weld on plate (factor this into the cost). With hindsight I would probably have saved up more money and gone for the VW Amarok (very expensive). The Toyota Hilux is highly recommended but didn't have as many toys as I wanted, plus is only 5 speed. I didn't go for a Ford Ranger due to it being under powered.

The Great Wall's are a capable truck. :lol:

Nissan NP300 Navara Tekna double cab
S.Karosser EC6L-2.0

zildjian
Site Admin

May 26th, 2015, 8:13 pm

Well a glance at our member's list shows these mentioned so far;

TRUCKS
Chevy / LUV 1
Ford / F250 1
Ford / Ranger 3
Ford / Transit 1
LR / defender 4
Mazda / ? 1
Nissan / Navara 8
Toyota / Hilux 4
VW / Amarok 2
VW / Caddy 2

Add6598

May 26th, 2015, 8:21 pm

Cheers truedink, great reply. I had seen the thread about the chassis plates, I'd be looking at sorting air suspension ASAP so I figured a bit of welding at the same time wasn't a deal breaker.. I too had noticed some of the navara's seemed really nicely specced.

Ps, not intending to cause any offence to anyone because of their pickup, I know they'll all have good points and bad points- the same as demountables I guess, was just hoping for a steer :)

Bests

Peaky

May 26th, 2015, 8:30 pm

For my penny's worth of input........I'm still in the Navara corner :)
You can pick up a really good spec in good condition for a very reasonable price.
Yes they have a weak chassis & they need some extra plating doing, but it's not the end of the world (thankfully) :)
I'm yet to do my chassis upgrade as my plates have not yet arrived, but when I do, in conjunction with the existing airbags & some nice new BFG AT's. Then I'll deffo be going for the 3,500Kg Re-plate, which will give me that much needed extra payload :D :D :D

Andy
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

Add6598

May 26th, 2015, 8:42 pm

Cheers Peaky, sorry to sound daft but is the replate just having the strengthening plates added, or something else?

What sort of mpg do the navara's return?

Cheers

Peaky

May 26th, 2015, 8:55 pm

The re-plate as far as I'm aware is the airbags & the right strength tyres (114 minimum). Finade is the best person to speak to about re-plating as they've just done their Amarok. Mpg for my Navara is high 20's unloaded & 22/23 when loaded as a rig. Plenty of power with almost 200ps & most of the creature comforts like cruise, aircon etc etc. Mines a 2013 Tekna model & after a few trips with the rig set up, the chassis seems ok :D I'm doing the chassis plating for my own piece of mind.

Andy
2013 Nissan Navara Tekna

2008 Skarosser Nordstar Polar 4.0

zildjian
Site Admin

May 26th, 2015, 9:12 pm

Navra clearly a popular choice, the D22 I had was powerful enough but there was certainly an issue with chassis flexing,
VW doing well just now
LR if you like them are always popular (though can be an issue matching a camper to them (because of cab height)

Hilux of course
L200, we don't have so many, RichC had one but said it felt underpowered right before it grenaded
Mazda reportedly very reliable,\

think that covers most of them

Add6598

May 26th, 2015, 9:17 pm

Ahh ok, so the re-plate is more of an official process following a few different upgrades... I'll look into it a bit more, cheers.

Mpg is a bit depressing but to be fair it's to be expected.

If I could ask another question, how do you find the handling when it's rigged? I'm a pretty steady driver anyway, far from a speed freak, but wonder about body roll when cornering etc after raising the centre of gravity so dramatically.

Cheers

zildjian
Site Admin

May 26th, 2015, 9:25 pm

In a straight line there's little in it, I only really notice the balance leaving roundabouts mostly,
adding air bags on rear axle (a must) typically they are plumbed for both sides not together,

this means the suspension is much firmer with camper loaded, or in other words, back to where you were 'unloaded'

I've plumbed my air to both bags at same time which is apparently 'wrong' as air can be compressed on the one side when cornering and forced into unloaded side,
but in same way you don't want the crockery and contents scattered all over the interior when you arrive on holiday, you probably don't drive & corner like a nut :D